Unveiling the Blessedness of Prayer and Fasting! By David Oyedepo
Topic: Unveiling the Blessedness of Prayer and Fasting!
Welcome to another exciting week! I hope you were blessed by the last teaching. Today, we shall focus on: Unveiling the Blessedness of Prayer and Fasting!
From scriptures, we understand that prayer and fasting is an asset of inestimable value in fulfilling God’s agenda for our lives. As such, it is a non-negotiable requirement, ordained by God for us to experience specific benefits in our lives, as contained in scriptures. As it is written: Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward (Isaiah 58:6-8). As we all know, every of God’s agenda is a spiritual open door which usually attracts oppositions from hell and this is why we are called to engage in prayer and fasting in dealing with such spiritual strongholds. No wonder Jesus said: Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting (Matthew 17:21; see also 1 Corinthians 16:9; 1Timothy 1:18). The above scripture helps us to know that some resistances will continue to get stronger without prayer and fasting. In order words, the siege sitting over any aspect of our lives may never move except by engaging the force of faith coupled with prayer and fasting. Remember, there is no other higher kind recognised in the Bible, other than prayer and fasting. We must, therefore, beware of selling our glorious destiny to the belly like Esau, who for a morsel of bread sold his birthright (Genesis 25:29-34).
What, then, are some of the Blessedness of Prayer and Fasting?
1. Fasting Spiritually Expedites Answers to Prayers: The Bible says: Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am… (Isaiah 58:9). Fasting facilitates speedy answers to our prayers. This is why the devil wants to keep us from praying while fasting, so as to rob us of the treasures that await us in it. However, we must get smarter than the devil by engaging with all our heart and might.
2. Prayer and Fasting Enhances Access to Divine Guidance: It is written: The Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not (Isaiah 58:11; see also Psalm 23:1). Everyone who is guided by the Lord is guided into realms of unending abundance (Isaiah 48:21; Ezra 8:21-23).
3. It Empowers us for Dominion: It is impossible to operate in the realm of power without prayer and fasting as a lifestyle. Everyone who has ever operated in the realm of power subscribed to the demands of prayer and fasting. Even Christ had no identity until He returned from a forty-day prayer and fasting expedition. David, in desperate need for power, said: O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; to see thy power and thy glory… (Psalm 63:2-3; see also Isaiah 58:6; Luke 4:14-37). This means we cannot experience God’s power without a thirsty soul and a longing flesh.
4. Access to Outbreak of Revelations: It is the light we encounter that sets the pace for the glory we enjoy. The Bible says: Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee (Isaiah 60:1). Therefore, fasting period is not just a praying time, but a searching time. It is the time to identify materials that will help us in any area of challenge in our lives. There are things we would never get except we are looking for them in the time of prayer and fasting (2 Corinthians 4:4).
5. Access to our High Places: In concluding the benefits of fasting from Isaiah 58:6, God said: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. That means fasting paves the way forward for us. Nehemiah fasted and received favour. He was a man without identity but succeeded in rebuilding the broken walls of Jerusalem in 52 days after he had prayed and fasted. This is a proof that fasting paves the way to our high places.
6. It Facilitates Fulfillment of Prophecy: As it is written: This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare (1 Timothy 1:18). Every prophecy must be enforced before it can be realised and one way to enforce its fulfilment is through the weapon of prayer and fasting. Moreover, every prophecy is like an open door and the Bible says: For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries (1 Corinthians 16:9). Therefore, we engage in prayer and fasting to resist every adversary that may hinder the fulfilment of prophecy in our lives (1 Kings 18:42-44).
In summary, if all these blessings accrue to us in fasting, then, it is wisdom to maximally engage in it, so we can begin to flow in the realm of glory the remaining days of our lives. This is because whatever is delivered to us this season is defined as exceeding and eternal weight of glory.
Thus, you must be born again. Are you born again? If you are not, this is an opportunity to do so. Simply say the following prayer: Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins. Cleanse me with Your precious Blood. Today, I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Thank You Jesus for saving me! Now I know I am born again!” For further reading, please get my books: Winning Prayer, Satan Get Lost, and Born to Win.
I invite you to come and fellowship with us at the Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, the covenant home of Winners. We have four services on Sundays, holding at 6:00 a.m., 7:50 a.m., 9:40 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. respectively. I know this teaching has blessed you. Write and share your testimony with me through: Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, P.M.B. 21688, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria; or call 01-4548070, 01-4548280; or E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org; Face book: www.facebook.com/davidoyedepoministries/; Twitter: @DavidOyedepoMin
David O. Oyedepo is a Nigerian Christian author, architect, preacher, and the founder and presiding bishop of the mega church, Living Faith Church Worldwide, also known as Winners’ Chapel
The post Unveiling the Blessedness of Prayer and Fasting! By David Oyedepo appeared first on Flatimes.